WHERE WE ARE LOCATED
Mariposa is one of Costa Rica’s premier luxury beachfront and upscale beachside private home rental resorts since 2004. We are situated in a quiet residential area is located heart of the “Miracle Mile”, commonly known as the Exclusive Northend of Playa Santa Teresa proper. Santa Teresa Mal Pais area is located at the very southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula, on Coast Rica’s Pacific Coast. This stretch of pristine white sand beach is the only place in Coast Rica to have been voted #1 beach in the world by Trip Advisor’s Peoples Choice Award, in 2011 and appears consistently in the top destinations in Costa Rica and Latin America.
Our exact GPS coordinates are: 938’47″8510’18″ approximately 100meters north of the Super La Hacienda, or 1.3 km north of the soccer field in the town center of Santa Teresa, between La Lora and Flor Blanca.
Please note that not all businesses that are located in the town of “Playa Santa Teresa” are actually located on the award winning beach of Santa Teresa. In fact, the majority of Santa Teresa locals are situated in the much more densely developed, Playa Carmen area although they still tend to refer to themselves as being in Santa Teresa, which is technically an entirely different beach with many more rocks and some reef.
Relax in privacy, on one of the largest remaining beachfront parcels in the exclusive North-end of Santa Teresa proper. Here at Mariposa Vacation Homes you will enjoy a home away from home with, on one of Costa Rica’s most pristine and uncrowded white sand beaches.
DOMESTIC TRAVEL INFORMATION
There are two domestic airlines that fly from the Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica to the local airstrip in Tambor, on the Southern tip of the Nicoya Penninsula.
You may check flight schedules and make your reservations directly through their websites below or book a Charter flight through our Concierge Marta Marques at: email@example.com
1) Sansa :
http://www.flysansa.com Phone: (506) 2290-4100
2) Nature Air : http://www.natureair.com Phone: (506) 2220-3054
If you decide to fly from San Jose to Tambor please contact our Concierge Marta Marques at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Marta will be happy to assist you with arranging the details of your air and/or ground transportation to the property.
By Land and Sea
If you are planning to drive to Santa Teresa the rental car companies will provide you with detailed directions and a map. We recommend 4×4 or a high clearance vehicle for optimal safety on the dirt roads in the area. The drive from San Jose to the port of Puntarenas on the new toll road (opened in 2009), Route 27 takes approximately 1.5 hours to the “Ferry Tambor” ferry, located in Puntarenas. Upon arrival at the Ferry Boarding area, you will be given a coupon by a uniformed Ferry Tambor representative. Take the coupon to the ticket window on the corner directly in front of the loading area, where you may purchase your ticket with CR colones or American dollars. Board the ferry and cross the Gulf of Nicoya. Once you arrive in Paquera, please follow the Driving Guide provided in the Confirmation Letter and available online at our website: www.mariposavacationhomes.com/location
For up-to-date ferry schedules please visit:
You may also call the ferry company : 2661-2084 ext. 4 for a recorded message in Spanish.
The trip from San Jose to Santa Teresa takes around 5 1/2 hours when you drive and take the ferry.
There is also the option of taking a taxi straight from San Jose. Please check with our Concierge for more details and pricing at: email@example.com
Public busses and shuttles get to Santa Teresa also on a daily basis from San Jose. For schedules of the direct busses from/to San Jose call (506) 2642 0219 or (506) 2221 7479.
HOW TO GET THERE/ Driving Guide:
From San Jose International Airport (Juan Santa Maria)
Below is the driving guide. Please note that there are two main routes. The first is via the new toll road & the second is the old highway. Take the first option whenever possible !
Driving Guide from Santa Maria International Airport in San Jose Costa Rica to Mariposa Vacation Homes, Santa Teresa Costa Rica via NEW TOLL ROAD
- Exit the airport turning right onto the main Highway towards San Jose
- Continue approximately 11.4 km
- Stay in the right lane; on your left you will see DENNY’s & BEST WESTERN
- Take your first right marked Circumvulacion towards Hatillos
- Continue approximately 1.3 km
- Stay in the right lane
- Turn right toward Escazu Route 27
- You are now on the new toll road to Orotina, Caldera & Puntarenas
- Follow the signs to Puntarenas, Stay alert, just past the Doubltree by Hilton on your left, the turn off to Puntarenas is on your right
- Turn Right on Route 17 to Puntarenas
- Continue to the end of the road @ 12 kms, where you will turn right at the Ferry Tambor sign and get in line for the Ferry to PAQUERA
- Wait for a uniformed agent to issue you a ticket voucher. Once you have your ticket voucher you may proceed to the ticket counter to purchase your ticket & those of any passengers traveling with you
- From Paquera Follow the main road and signs to Cobano
- Continue straight through the main intersection in Cobano 14 km towards Mal Pais
- Turn Right, at the very bottom of the hill you will come to your first 4 way intersection, towards 2 story Blue Commercial Building
- Continue 3 km to the town of Santa Teresa
- Once out of the town center (Burger Rancho-on left & Pizza Tomate-on right), continue another 1.2 km where you will see Super La Hacienda on your right.
- 50 m past Super La Hacienda on the left hand side you will see our sign “Mariposa Vacation Homes” and a wooden Gate. Welcome !
- Please use the entry code provided in your Confirmation Letter to access th esafe for the keys to the property
- The information Guides for the houses are on the coffee table and our manager Juan Araya will come by to check-you in
Driving Guide from San Jose to Santa Teresa (using the Berndtson & Berndtson map of Costa Rica) Via Puntarenas Ferry (5-6 hours): If you are coming from Tambor, just follow the directions below from Tambor below.
Exit the International airport staying in the right lane. You will loop around to the west going in the opposite direction than downtown San Jose. Stay on the main road, the CI 1, Pan American Hwy, past San Ramon and Esparza. Drive past the town of Esparza. There is a sign on the main highway that reads “Puntarenas RT 23” (approx 66 miles according to the B&B MAP of Costa Rica, exit to the right and follow the signs to downtown Puntarenas, via Rt 17. Follow the signs to the ferry at the far end of town. Wait in your car until a uniformed Tambor employee issues you a paper coupon. Once you have the coupon you may go to the ticket office and buy your ticket to Paquera. Once you exit the ferry in Paquera continue straight, passing thru the towns of Tambor and Cobano (approx 1 hour). Leaving Cobano the asphalt turns to dirt over a small bridge for 14 kms until you reach the intersection for Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. Turn right at the main intersection in Mal Pais, with a 2 story blue commercial building on the corner, on your right. Continue approximately 3 km. As soon as you pass the Supermarket” La Hacienda” on the right side, slow down and look to your left. In about 50 yards you will see a green chain-link fence, and a wooden gate with a “Mariposa Beach Homes” sign on the left hand side.
PLEASE NOTE I have not measured the distances marked in parenthesis myself, & can not vouch for their accuracy, so please stay alert & look for signs, stop & ask at a gas station or business if you are not sure.
Once you arrive: Please find a your keys inside of the enrty safe in the black metal box below the sign. The entry instructions/ safe code were provided in your Confirmation Letter. Please make yourself at home. Our manager will come by before 4pm or after 7am the next day to check you in.
Via Tempisque bridge (6-8 hours):
Exit the International airport staying in the right lane. You will loop around to the west going in the opposite direction than downtown San Jose. Stay on the main road, the CI 1, Pan American Hwy, towards Liberia, until you see a sign for the Tempisque bridge (approx 98 miles from the airport according to the B&B MAP of Costa Rica. Turn left & cross the bridge. Continue 15 km. At the “T” intersection turn left towards Jicaral, Playa Naranja & Paquera (approx 64 km). Once you reach the dead end in Paquera , turn left towards Cobano. continue straight, passing thru the towns of Tambor and Cobano (29km). Leaving Cobano the asphalt turns to dirt over a small bridge for 14 kms until you reach the intersection for Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. Turn right at the main intersection in mal Pais, with a 2 story blue commercial building on the corner, on your right. Continue approximately 3 km. As soon as you pass the Supermarket” La Hacienda” on the right side, slow down and look to your left. In about 100 yards you will see a green chain-link fence, and a wooden gate with “CASAS PURA VIDA” in tiled letters on the left hand side. Welcome.
* PLEASE NOTE I have not measured the distances marked in parenthesis myself, & can not vouch for their accuracy, so please stay alert & look for signs, stop & ask at a gas station or business if you are not sure.
Once you arrive: Please find a your keys inside of the entry safe in the black metal box below the sign. The entry instructions/ safe code were provided in your Confirmation Letter. Please make yourself at home. Our manager will come by before 4pm or after 7am the next day to check you in.
Important Note: Costa Rican driving conditions require patience, and staying alert! Unmarked obstacles and hazards do exist and the trip will probably take longer than you expect. It is always best to get an early start and avoid driving after 6 pm, as it is night.
From Liberia International Airport
All distance below have been measured as accurately as possible. Total drive time is approximately 3.5 to 4 hours.
Please stay alert as driving conditions in Costa Rica are not always the same as in your home country. We recommend that you drive during the day and plan to arrive by 6pm. If you would like to grab a bite to eat, there are not many options along the way. I recommend the German Bakery on the main highway on your left, less than a mile from exiting the airport, or for fast food Burger King in Nicoya.
- Kilometer zero (Km 0) ~ Turn Right onto the main road Route 21~ upon exiting the Liberia International airport -@ Km 41 ~ you will pass thru the town of Santa Cruz, continue straight on the main road ~ Route 21
- @ Km 61 ~ you will pass thru the town of Nicoya, continue straight on the main road ~ Route 21 (Burger King)
- Follow the signs to Playa Naranjo (68km)
***IMPORTANT NEXT TURN*** -@ Km 88 ~ Turn Left ~ off of what appears to be the main highway towards Playa Naranjo & Tambor, you will see a sign for COBANO 99 km (If you do not make this turn you will end up in the town of Carmona)
- @ km 110 ~ you will pass thru the town of Jicaral, continue straight on the main road ~ Route 21
- @ Km 129~ you will pass a sign for the Playa Naranjo FERRY, continue straight on the main road ~ Route 21, which turns into a gravel road
- @ Km 144 ~ you will come to a “T” in the road, Turn Left towards COBANO
- @ Km 151 Stay to the Left, back onto the asphalt into the town of Paquera
- @ Km 153 ~ you will come to a “T” in the road, Turn Right towards COBANO -Continue on this main road (Route 160) towards COBANO
- @ Km 186 ~ you will pass thru the town of COBANO, continue straight on the main road thru the 4 way intersection, where in @ 1 km the road will turn to gravel
- @ Km 188 bear Left Follow signs to MAL PAIS & SANTA TERESA -Soon you will descend a long hill, asphalt road, with views of the ocean
- @ Km 197 ~ you will arrive at the crossroad in Mal Pais, Turn RIGHT -Continue exactly 3.0 km from the main intersection to Mariposa Vacation Homes, which is located on the LEFT hand side, just past the Super(market) La Hacienda (which is on your right).